2.11.2015

Why do you do the things you do, and who do you do them for?


            When I was living in Austin, I went to a women’s bible study, and the teacher asked us this question every week.  It stuck.  Almost 20 years later, I am still asking myself these two questions.  Because if I don’t consider why I do what I do, and who I’m doing it all for, my life can easily become all about doing things to make myself look better to others and to feel better about myself.

Image result for question mark            Lately it seems that other people are asking me these same questions, especially in regards to my spiritual practices.  Oh, they may be using different words, but they are the same questions.  Why do you go to church?  Why do you believe the way you do?  Why do you read the bible?  Why do you speak to groups of young moms?  Why are you in a small group?

            When I think about the things I do, the things I commit myself to, the groups I am a part of, and the work I strive to excel at, I have to ask myself whyIn all of my daily living, who am I living for?

            1 Peter 3:15 says, “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.  Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.  But do this with gentleness and respect.”  So, here goes…
           
            Why do I go to church?  Because it centers me and keeps me on track.
            Throughout my week, as I am navigating this journey called life, I can’t control all the twists and turns, ups and downs, treacherous weather, pot holes and cracks in the road.  And this vehicle I’m driving?  Well, it’s not straight from the factory with all the bells and whistles.  It’s been in a few accidents, and it’s in some ways broken – everything doesn’t work exactly as it should.  The alignment is a little off, and I find it consistently hard to not veer off course. 

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for thy courts above.
~Robert Robinson

            Going to church each Sunday centers me and keeps me on course.  Worshiping God with other believers reminds me how great God is and how much I need Him.  Hearing truths from the bible, even if they are basic and I've heard them a dozen times before, helps me live my life to honor Christ.

            Why do I believe the way I do?  Because I believe that Christmas, Good Friday, and Easter are more than just holidays.  The historical events we celebrate and remember on these days impact my life every day of the year.  I believe that God came as a baby named Jesus into our world, that He gave His life so I could be forgiven, and He rose from the dead so I can live eternally, even after this life is over.  God’s amazing love and grace deserve my whole-hearted devotion.
           
            Why am I in groups?  Because I grow in groups, both in my relationships with others and in my relationship with God.  Whether it’s a small group, a bible study, a marriage workshop, or a grief support group, I have found that the right kinds of groups with the right kind of people shape me, support me, bring healing, and help me grow.   
           
            Why do I read the Bible?  It teaches me who God is and how I should live. 

            I opened Ephesians the other day and started reading chapter 4, and I didn’t make it past verse 2.  Always be humble and gentle.  Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love.

            I stopped right there and read it again, then again.  Like a light, illuminating my path, I became aware that in my home, in the relationships that matter most to me, I was not being humble and gentle, making allowance for other’s faults because of my love.  I've heard these words before, but I needed to be reminded.  I needed to recalibrate.

            Psalm 119:105 - Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

            Why do I write and speak to groups of women?  I love to encourage other women in their faith, friendships, marriage and parenting.  And I love to do it through writing and speaking.  God has wired each of us with unique personalities, temperaments and gifts, and when we find the courage to cultivate them and use them to bless others and honor him, we find our “sweet spot” – a place where we feel alive and fulfilled.

            Galatians 6:4 - Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that.  Don’t be impressed with yourself.  Don’t compare yourself with others.  Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.  (Message)

            How about you? Why do you do the things you do, and who do you do them for?
           
            Two little questions worth answering.

            

No comments: